Award-winning Amsterdam based author Julie Phillips gave a special master class for us on 16 October 2022, moderated by IWC teacher Karen Kao. The class focussed on her newest book in which she examines the relationship between motherhood and creativity through the lens of multiple female artists like Alice Walker, Doris Lessing and Audre Lorde. In The Baby on the Fire Escape: Creativity, Motherhood, and the Mind-Baby Problem, Julie tackles pre-conceived notions about who is allowed to be an artist.
Jenny and Karen discuss:
- Must an artist be alone to create?
- Do all artists need to be “art monsters” in order to succeed?
- To what extent does the myth of the “perfect” parent / child / lover continue to burden writers today as we navigate ever increasing roles and responsibilities?
ABOUT THESE TEACHERS
Julie Phillips is the winner of the National Book Critics Circle Award, the Hugo Award and the Locus Awards for her biography James Triptree, Jr.: The Double Life of Alice B. Sheldon. Her short form work has appeared in The New Yorker, Ms., The Village Voice and the Dutch daily newspaper Trouw. She is the recipient of a Writing Creative Nonfiction Grant and an alumna of residencies at Hedgebrook and Willapa Bay AIR.
Karen Kao is a teacher with the International Writers’ Collective and is the winner of the 2022 Kenyon Review Short Nonfiction Contest and a nominee for the Pushcart Prize, VERA, and Best of the Net. Her debut novel, The Dancing Girl and the Turtle (Linen Press 2017) is the first of a quartet of historical novels set in Shanghai. Karen’s work has appeared or is forthcoming in the Kenyon Review, Pleiades Magazine, Hippocampus Magazine, and Tahoma Literary Review, among others.
Copyright © 2022 Julie Phillips & International Writers’ Collective
Subscribe: Overcast | iTunes | Anchor.FM | Google Play | Player.FM | PocketCasts | Spotify | Stitcher
- Budding novelist learns the value of outliningStudent profile
- Contests & Calls with May and June DeadlinesContests Publishing
- Why teens need creative writingWorkshops Other
- Spring student and faculty reading announcementLocal news
- 6 Spring Writing ContestsContests
- Magazines open for spring submissionsPublishing
- Lit Mag Grab BagPublishing
- Where to submit: Magazines with a fresh perspectivePublishing
- Meet new teacher Sussu LaaksonenTeacher profile
- Where to submit in December 2022Publishing
- The Faculty and Student Reading is Back in 2023!Contests
- End-of-2022 literary events in Amsterdam and beyondOther
- Meet Tint Journal editor-in-chief Lisa SchantlPublishing
- Ten great gifts for the writer in your lifeOther
- Pimp my query letterPublishing
- J. A. Vold (I/me,you)How to use gender-neutral pronouns in your writing
- Syed Khaja Mohinuddin5 great places to submit your short stories
- Dan SmithWhy teens need creative writing
- Dan SmithBudding novelist learns the value of outlining
- CarolineBudding novelist learns the value of outlining
- Julius Odeke7 writing contests with huge cash prizes
- IWC Staff6 Spring Writing Contests
- gail6 Spring Writing Contests
- SahraMagazines open for spring submissions
- Lawrence PeryerGreat places to submit for new & unpublished writers
- Sara Levin5 places to submit your personal essays
- DaveWhere to submit long short stories
- ClaudiaWhere to submit mystery, thriller and crime stories
- Keira5 great places to submit your poetry
- Frederick A. MurphyGreat places to submit your flash fiction
- Freshta Azimi5 great places to submit your short stories
- BobWhere to Submit Your Flash Fiction
- HuddlestoneThe Faculty and Student Reading is Back in 2023!
- vanessa tagorda5 great places to submit your poetry
- AmyWhere to publish your novella
- Master Class with fiction writer Laura van den BergSpecial Courses
- Master Class with novelist Ellen KeithSpecial Courses
- Master Class with novelist Lola ShoneyinSpecial Courses
- Level IV Amsterdam/Online Tuesdays – Spring 2023Core Courses
- Level III Amsterdam Wednesdays – Spring 2023Core Courses
- Level II Amsterdam Mondays – Spring 2023Core Courses
- Level I Amsterdam Wednesdays 2 – Spring 2023Core Courses
- Level I Amsterdam Wednesdays – Spring 2023Core Courses
- Level I Amsterdam Tuesdays AM – Spring 2023Core Courses
- Level I Amsterdam Tuesdays – Spring 2023Core Courses
- Level I Amsterdam Mondays – Spring 2023Core Courses
- Level II Online Tuesdays – Spring 2023Core Courses
- Level I Online Tuesdays – Spring 2023Core Courses
- Level II Poetry Online Mondays – Spring 2023Core Courses
- Level II Amsterdam Wednesdays – Spring 2023Core Courses
0 responses on "Julie Phillips Master Class Recording"