Here’s our rundown of upcoming international literary events in The Netherlands for November 2018 and beyond. Events are in English unless otherwise noted. Most ask that you register; some require tickets.
- Crossing Border Festival – featuring over 100 authors, musicians and artists from all over the world (headliners include Michael Palin, Richard Powers and Patrick de Witt), from Monday, 29 October – 4 November at various locations in The Hague
- Rachael Allen & Jack Underwood – two award-winning British poets read some of their latest work (BTW Rachael is the poetry editor at Granta) on Sunday, 4 November, 14:00 – 15:00, San Seriffe, Amsterdam.
- Richard Powers – the American National Book Award-winner will be speaking about his newest novel The Overstory, which was short-listed for the 2018 Man Booker Prize, on Sunday, 4 November, 15:00 – 17:00 at the West Indische Huis, Amsterdam
- Writers’ Borrel – meet up for a drink after listening to Richard Powers on Sunday, 4 November, 17:00 at Stuyvesant wine bar, Amsterdam
- Open Mic Monday – poetry, music and stories in Dutch, English, French and Spanish, new performers welcome, 5 November, 20:30, Labyrinth, Amsterdam
- Wilfred Owen – an evening exploring the life, work and legacy of this much-loved English war poet, on Tuesday, 6 November, 19:00 – 21:00, at Waterstones, Amsterdam.
- Brecht Evens – the Belgian cartoonist will present his newest graphic novel ‘Het Amusement’ on 8 November, at Boycott Books, Amsterdam. Note: this event is in English
- Margaret Atwood – the Canadian author of The Handmaid’s Tale will be speaking courtesy of The Nexus Institute on Saturday, 10 November at the Aula-Old Luthern Church, Amsterdam (SOLD OUT)
- Open Mic Monday – poetry, music and stories in Dutch, English, French and Spanish, new performers welcome, 12 November, 20:30, Labyrinth, Amsterdam
- Int’l open stage – an open mic night with poetry, stories, songs and more in whatever language you want on the theme of ‘soul’ on Tuesday, 13 November, 21:00 at ACU, Utrecht
- Word Up, Edition Outcast – spoken word poetry in English on Thursday, 15 November, 19:00 at Word Up in Amsterdam
- Printing Plant Art Book Fair – a 3-day fair featuring some 60 exhibitors (including our friends over at Versal) plus talks, workshops and a selection of books, monographs, periodicals and zines that are generally unavailable in bookstores, 23 – 25 November at Looiersgracht 60, Amsterdam
- The Green Hour – Oscar Wilde – an evening of all things Oscar—prose, poetry, drama and drinks—on Saturday, 24 November, 20:30 at the Pianola Museum, Amsterdam. Note: this event keeps selling out so get your tickets early!
- Memoir Writing Course – a 1-day crash course covering everything from finding the right narrative voice to publishing on Sunday, 25 November, 10:00-17:00 at Boekhandel van Rossum, Amsterdam
- Int’l open stage – an open mic night with poetry, stories, songs and more in whatever language you want on the theme of ‘gratitude’ on Tuesday, 27 November, 21:00 at ACU, Utrecht
- Earthbound – a discussion on the relationship between social and climate justice through the lens of storytelling and imaginative practices on Friday, 30 November, 20:00 at Perdu, Amsterdam
- Knock Knock – Amsterdam – an evening of poetry, spoken word, music and food, on Friday, 7 December, 19:15 at Volta, Amsterdam
- Marilynne Robinson – the Pulitzer Prize-winning American novelist will be giving the opening lecture of the 2018 Nexus Conference (the conference theme is the battle between good and evil) on Saturday, 15 December at the National Opera & Ballet, Amsterdam
- Wole Soyinka – the Nobel Prize-winning poet, playwright and essayist will be one of the speakers at the 2018 Nexus Conference on Saturday, 15 December at the National Opera & Ballet, Amsterdam
If you’d like to receive our listing of local literary events by email, sign up for our Monthly Update.