Here’s our rundown of upcoming international literary events in The Netherlands for June & July 2018. Events are in English unless otherwise noted. Most ask that you register; some require tickets. Click on the headings for more info.
Attention fans of crime fiction author Karen Slaughter: she’s on tour in the Netherlands from the 15 – 18 June with appearances at nearly a dozen bookstores and libraries, a handful of which include interviews. See her website for details.
Also a heads up: Margaret Atwood is coming to Amsterdam this November! Tickets are already on sale.
- DIY (But Not Alone) Zine Fair – Perdu opens its door to zine culture on Sunday, 17 June from 12:00 at Perdu, Amsterdam
- Books & Bubbles – a reading by local author Ivo Weyel + proseco and bites on Sunday, 17 June, 16:00 at the Sir Albert Hotel, Amsterdam Note: this programme will be in Dutch
- Open Mic Monday – poetry, music and stories in Dutch, English, French and Spanish, new performers welcome, 18 June, 20:30, Labyrinth, Amsterdam
- Salon Branoul: Charles Bukowski – a reading of Bukowski’s work framed by music by Copland, Carter and Muczynski on Tuesday, 19 June, 21:00 at Branoul, The Hague
- Graphic Novel Conference – with speakers, workshops and all around graphic novel fun on Friday, 22 June, 15:00 at the CREA, Amsterdam
- Shadowboxing multi-media performance and party – Perdu’s season finale brings together writers, artists, musicians and dancers for a blowout show with cocktails and dancing afterwards on Friday, 22 June, 20:00 at Perdu, Amsterdam. Note: part of this programme will be in Dutch.
- Picnic & Book Swap – a relaxed afternoon of reading, talking, drinking, eating and maybe even some alfresco writing on Sunday, 24 June, 16:00 on the green between between Sarphatistraat 213 and Plantage Middenlaan
- Talking Books with Kawa Nemir and Erik Bindervoet – Kurdish author Nemir and Dutch author Bindervoet speak about the translation of Joyce’s Ulysses into their mother tongues, Sunday, 24 June, 16:00 at Pages Bookstore, Amsterdam
- Open Mic Monday – poetry, music and stories in Dutch, English, French and Spanish, new performers welcome, 25 June, 20:30, Labyrinth, Amsterdam
- Open Mic with Int’l Open Stage – poetry, stories, songs and more on the topic of old traditions, ancient civilizations or anything else ‘old’ in whatever language you want,Tuesday, 26 June, 21:00 at ACU, Utrecht
- Pissfest 2018: Zine Fair & Party – 24 hours of talks, poetry, open mic performances, dancing and of course zines, on Friday, 29 June starting at 15:00 at VLLA, Amsterdam
- Open Mic at Pages – an evening of reading, drinks and food on Friday, 29 June, 17:30 at Pages Bookstore, Amsterdam
- Labyrinth Poetry Night: Human – a night of poetry in all its forms plus cocktails and soul food on Saturday, 30 June, 20:30 at Labyrinth, Amsterdam
- Open Mic Monday – poetry, music and stories in Dutch, English, French and Spanish, new performers welcome, 2 July, 20:30, Labyrinth, Amsterdam
- Level I Creative Writing Workshop – learn the foundations of good writing with our 6-week course, Thursdays, 5 July – 9 August, Boekhandel van Rossum, Amsterdam (also available online)
- Open Mic with Int’l Open Stage – poetry, stories & more in any language on what you see when you’re wearing your rose-coloured glasses in whatever language you want, Tuesday, 12 June, 21:00 at ACU, Utrecht
- Knock Knock – Amsterdam – an evening of poetry, spoken word, music and food, on 13 July, 19:15 at Volta, Amsterdam
- John Pineda – meet-and-greet and book signing featuring his latest novel Let’s No One Get Hurt on Saturday, 14 July, 16:00 at the American Book Center, Amsterdam
- Karen Kao – this master class will look at technique in Kao’s novel The Dancing Girl and the Turtle, the challenges of writing historical fiction and more on Sunday, 22 July, 17:00 – 19:30 at Boekhandel van Rossum, Amsterdam
- Open Mic with Int’l Open Stage – poetry, stories, songs and more on the topic of Artificial Intelligence in whatever language you want on Tuesday, 24 July, 21:00 at ACU, Utrecht
If you’d like to receive our listing of local literary events by email, sign up for our Monthly Update.
Would love to participate and contribute my poetries on this forum . I am a poet from India .