THIS WORKSHOP IS NOW FULL. SOMETIMES A SPOT DOES OPEN UP – CONTACT US TO JOIN THE WAITING LIST.
Level I workshop runs for 6 weeks from 5 July – 9 August. The workshop meets Thursdays from 18:30 – 20:30 at Boekhandel van Rossum, Beethovenstraat 32, 1077 JH Amsterdam. Class size is 6-10 people.
A Level I workshop is a great place to start whether you’re just getting going or you’ve been writing for a while and would like more formal instruction. The focus is on giving you mastery over techniques fundamental to both fiction and poetry, supporting you in establishing a writing routine, and encouraging you to try new things and stretch your imagination.
During the 6 weeks you’ll learn:
- How to read like a writer, so you can see how your favourite authors and poets work their magic—it’s a skill that will serve you well throughout your writing life.
- How to construct a compelling narrator to tell your story.
- How to use elements of craft such as tone, mood, description and action to reveal your characters and pull readers in and make them want more.
- How to give your fellow writers useful feedback.
- How to revise your own work—as any professional writer will tell you, writing well is all about revising well.
Plus you can look forward to a weekly dose of inspiration and to meeting great people.
The Level I curriculum is designed to give you a toolkit of techniques foundational to good writing over the course of two to four terms, depending on your goals, focus and experience.
We currently teach four core levels of workshops—each level (usually completed over multiple consecutive terms) builds on the skills and techniques taught in the level before, and at the end of every term your instructor will help you decide on the best path forward.
OUR REFUND POLICY: If something comes up and you can’t take the course, let us know at least 24 hours before the first class (so we can offer your spot to someone else) and we’ll give you a complete refund. If you decide to drop out after the first class, let us know within three days, and you only pay for the first class—we’ll refund the rest. And if at any point in the term your circumstances change such that it’s impossible for you to complete the course, we can offer you a credit voucher based on the number of classes remaining that you can apply to another course within a year.