This Level I workshop runs for 8 weeks from 10 May ’17 and meets Wednesdays from 18:30 – 20:30 at Boekhandel van Rossum, Beethovenstraat 32, 1077 JH Amsterdam. Class size is usually 8-12 people.
A Level I workshop is a great place to start whether you’re just getting going or you’ve been writing for a while and would like more formal instruction. The focus is on giving you mastery over techniques fundamental to both fiction and poetry, supporting you in establishing a writing routine, and encouraging you to try new things and stretch your imagination.
During the 8 weeks you’ll learn:
- How to read like a writer, so you can see how your favourite authors and poets work their magic—it’s a skill that will serve you well throughout your writing life.
- How to construct a compelling narrator to tell your story.
- How to use elements of craft such as tone, mood, description, dialogue and action to reveal your characters and pull readers in and make them want more.
- How to give your fellow writers useful feedback.
- How to revise your own work—as any professional writer will tell you, writing well is all about revising well.
Plus you can look forward to a weekly dose of inspiration and to meeting great people.
Most writers take two to three Level I courses—each term is different—before moving on to Level II. If you have a degree in creative writing or have taken numerous technique-focused workshops, contact us and we’ll help you find the right level.