Submitting for themed journal issues can spark creativity & increase your chances of publication success. None of these journals charge submissions fees, so if the theme appeals or you have a poem or a story that already fits, why not go for it? Don’t see a theme that suits? Check our other posts for more suggestions of great places to submit.
- Solidago is seeking poetry, fiction and creative nonfiction (10,000 word limit) on the theme of INITIATION for their autumn print edition. Deadline: 31 October.
- Halfway Down the Stairs is looking for poetry of up to 500 words, fiction of up to 5000 words, and personal essay/memoir of up to 3000 words on the theme of COMING OF AGE for their December online issue. Deadline: 1 November.
- Thema is looking for poetry, short stories and essays on the theme of THE CRITTER IN THE ATTIC (fun!). Previously published work is fine as long as it’s on theme and you hold the copyright. They publish on-line and in print. Within the US they ask you send in your submission by post with an SASE; outside the US you can use email. Deadline: 1 November.
- Liars’ League wants your stories of between 800-2000 words on the theme NAUGHTY & NICE. If accepted, your work will be published online and considered for their print anthology and it will be read by a professional actor at their live event in London. If you can attend, you’re guaranteed free drinks all night! Deadline: 4 November.
- Blood & Bourbon is looking for gritty, raw poetry, stories and creative nonfiction of up to 3000 words on the theme of CONFLICT. They publish print and e-book versions. Deadline: 10 November.