We love a good inspirational quote and we’ve been collecting for years. Here are some of our favourite quotes for motivating us to sit down and write. These are great ones to print out and post next the computer or tape to the refrigerator for when you need a little lift (or kick—thank you, E.B.).
- ‘A writer who waits for ideal conditions under which to work will die without putting a word to paper.’ – E.B. White, author of Charlotte’s Web
- ‘Start by getting something—anything—down on paper. What I’ve learned to do when I sit down to work on a shitty first draft is to quiet the voices in my head.’ – Anne Lamott, author of Bird by Bird
- ‘You cannot be judging yourself as you write the first draft—you want to harness that unexpected energy, and you don’t want to limit the possibilities of exploration. You don’t know what you’re writing until it’s done.’ – Jane Smiley, Pulitzer Prize winning author of A Thousand Acres
- ‘Fiction does not spring into the world fully grown, like Athena. It is the process of writing and rewriting that makes a fiction original, if not profound.’ – John Gardner, author of The Art of Fiction
- ‘It’s none of their business that you have to learn how to write. Let them think you were born that way.’ – Ernest Hemingway