Part of the pain of submitting is waiting and waiting and waiting to hear if your piece is accepted. This month we’ve focused on poetry journals, or rather journals that accept poetry, with stellar track records for responding quickly (fiction writers, you’ll find some gems here too). Flash fiction writers can find more recommendations here; for our short story list stay tuned.
1. Eunoia Review publishes two new pieces per day and they love work that displays a real sense of craft. You can submit up to 10 poems or multiple fiction or creative nonfiction pieces (up 15,000 words in total) and they will aim to respond within 24 hours.
2. SOFTBLOW highlights a handful of international poets each month. Submit 4-6 lined or prose poems and they’ll generally respond within a couple of days.
3. Amaryllis is looking for poems that leave a little something out and let the reader connect the dots. They publish a new poem every Monday and Thursday and will generally come back with a yea or a nay within a couple of days. Submit up to 3 poems.
4. Thrush Poetry has made our ‘great places to submit’ lists before. They generally get back to you within a couple of days and often with a personal response and they nominate for most major prizes. You can submit up to 3 poems.
5. Jersey Devil Press nominates for most major prizes and they aim to respond within a couple of weeks. You can submit up to 100 lines of poetry as one long poem or several short ones or up to three prose poems or one flash fiction piece or story (up to 4,200 words).